Thursday, January 18, 2018

My Personal Experience with Wine

I do not have much personal experience with wine at this point in my life. I enjoy drinking it on occasion with meals or drinking a glass of wine with a group of friends. I prefer white wine, my favorites are Pinto Grigio,Moscato, and Riesling. I tend to enjoy sweet wine rather than dry wine. One of the best wines I have ever had in my life was the Late Harvest Riesling from Trefethen Family Vineyards, it was a dessert wine which made it incredibly sweet but it was so smooth and favorable.  I do not like red wine, though I have only tried it 2 or 3 times ,however, I want to continue to try red wine and find one that I enjoy.

My experience with wine has mostly been informal and casual. Though I have been to tasting at vineyards a few times, I usually just have glass of wine at home with a meal or friends. I mostly drink wine because I like the way it tastes and often do not think about the grapes that it is made from or where in the world it is from. I have little knowledge on these subjects and it's not until I started watching lecture videos that I realized how important these elements are to the wine experience

Though I enjoy a nice glass of wine I have realized that I usually spring for the cheapest bottle I can find. I think this is true for many college students. However, following a recent trip to Napa Valley I realized how unique wine is and I became very interested in learning more about it. Though I loved my experience in Napa I also felt very intimidated by the knowledge that others in our tour group and the staff at the winery had on the subject. My goal for this course is to learn more about varieties of wine and how to speak the language of wine. In Napa as they described each wine I had very little understanding of the terms they were using and I hope that this class can help me so that way when I go back to Napa in the future I can be more informed about the wines I am tasting.

Me enjoying some sparkling wine at Mumm Napa 

No comments:

Post a Comment